Monday, November 01, 2004

Putting the Id in Idiot

Sebastian’s last post got me thinking. Being that I’ve not even had my coffee yet, that’s remarkable. All that talk of ropes and tents – he actually got me thinking about a few things.

Ah, the questions. Who am I? What defines me? Philosophy, sociology, even psychiatry – all areas of study I’ve taken up at one point or another although I’m not quite sure how enhanced my life has been as a result.

My teens were spent dreaming about who I wanted to be. The 20’s were being a lot of different things and figuring out what felt the most comfortable. Now as I near the end of my 30’s I simply am Aaron – I guess defined by my daily actions more than anything else.

There was a time when I was my job. I have been ________’s lover, not so much an individual as part of a couple. I’ve been a product of my parents, where I live, how I live, illness, wealth, poverty, popularity, the size of my cock, the size of my ego, the regularity in which I get laid, celibacy (which is it’s own punishment), number of acquaintances, number of friends, hours alone at my worst and best, motivation, fear, and comparison.

I’ve no clearer a way of defining myself than I have ever. My being is beyond explanation or at least any real desire to explain.

I guess when all is said and done I’ll have been the sum of all of my relationships. I have fewer now than ever before (once I thought one was defined by popularity) but each true friendship is important and cherished. It is through these remarkable folk that I get a sense of self – my desire to be a good person amongst good people. Often with them I am simply a smile or a tear. Inevitably one day I’ll just be a memory – hopefully a nice one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home