Thursday, October 28, 2004

I'm American, and I'm Sorry (sort of)

Since our tag line here reads, “Words from Around the World”, I figure this as good of an opportunity as any to address you – The World.

(steps on some phone books as to be seen above the lectern)

Tap – tap: Is this thing on?

Hello World.

I happen to have been born in an unpopular state, New Jersey (the brunt of far too many jokes) in an unpopular country, the US. Being that I’m a people person, well, only after a large coffee on odd number days, there is a small level of shame attached to my origins. Having spent half my life apologizing for my father, I’ve learned that was a useless task, so I won’t really apologize for my country even if it feels like I should at times.

There are a bunch of politicians that won’t even take my calls much less care for what I may think about my nation’s ability to piss-off the rest of you, but I would think these learned men would get a clue by now. Some of my neighbors don’t seem to understand the fact that many Americans are disliked for simply being Americans. Funny this, as these same people dislike whole nations of men and women because of their birthplace, yet can’t understand the reverse.

One of my favorite artists, Anselm Kiefer, often portrayed the guilt he and his fellow countrymen felt by being born German after Hitler. I can only imagine what it must be like to know one’s grandfather was a Nazi. My grandfather is a retired Deputy Chief of Police but fortunately not one from the state of California, or there would be 2 generations I would have to apologize for. (California has the reputation of being a police state – and my run-in with some Los Angeles cops several years ago has me understanding why)

My point is (yes, I have one) this: identity stems from nature, yet all individuals are subject to the influences of location, family, religion and government. I could spend the rest of my life in Prague for example, but will always be an American to a certain degree. This is the other reason why I won’t apologize for my country - I’d have to apologize for myself which I would never do. Sure I can apologize for a wrong action or way of thinking, but not for who I am.

This presents a dilemma. How do I get my fellow countrymen to understand that we have simply grown too large and in the process have forgotten where we came from – the rest of the world? How do I tell them that we should be ashamed as a group if not as individuals? All I can come up with is by setting an example. Address the rest of the world as a human, not an American, hold a mirror up to myself and look hard and especially pay attention to those groups that frighten me or I have trouble understanding.

Having been in New York during the 9/11 attacks – I was scheduled for an interview at the World Trade Center for later that day – naturally I was pissed-off at the men that killed so many in such a horrible way. Still, writing the attackers off as crazy people wasn’t enough for me. As much as I detest all murderers, the fact that my nation is hated so much by that certain group forces me to look at the why of it all. It’s a hard task from where I sit at this moment, but I am trying. I wish more were.

So don’t hate me because I’m beautiful, oh wait, I mean because I’m from a young nation going through a difficult age presently addicted to power – but you can hate me for my ignorance. At least that is something I can work on. Who knows, it may even become a trend.

Okay World – thanks for your time. I gotta go now to the deli where I will have to choose from 27 different types of toilet paper in which to wipe my spoiled American ass.

1 Comments:

Blogger dantallion said...

Great post. If/when you come across the border next month, bring a selection of them there 27 types of t-p. Canadians only use burlap.

10/28/2004 01:29:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home