Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Collaboration

Welcome to event horizon. Perhaps not all that original, it's an idea that started to gel in my mind not long after I started blogging several months ago. I'm often in awe of the ideas that people put out there, accessible by anyone through the miracle of the internet. Kudos to Al Gore for inventing it. In carving out my little corner of Blogdom, I've 'met' some pretty interesting and creative people along the way... The world is getting smaller at the most incredible rate. And over the past few months, I've found myself exchanging ideas, barbs, theories, jokes, philosophies, and general silliness with people of all cultures, backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, sexualities, etc. And for the most part, people generally get along, enjoy themselves; revel in the sheer diversity of it all. This would have been unimaginable to most people even 20 years ago. It is the most diverse and inclusive environment I've ever experienced. So it occurred to me to try and mix thing up a bit. I think back to a time when I was more of a 'serious' musician. I very much enjoyed playing on my own, composing, creating new sound, playing solo. I did pretty well at it, and people reactions were quite incredible, very motivating. But some of the best creative moments I ever experienced happened when I started fraternizing with other musicians and artists. People would show up, we'd create, some might leave, others would show up. And each new person that came in added another character to the end result, which was never predictable, and most often incredibly interesting. Music literally started taking on a life of it's own. It was the most dynamic, fluid, and creative artistic situation I ever participated in. I've seen the same effect in Blogdom in the comments section of people's posts. Get a diverse bunch of people from different walks of life commenting on a great blog, or even a mediocre one, throwing their own spin on the original idea. More often than not it ends up being even more entertaining, informative, profound, or simply silly than what the original author had in mind. It takes on a life of it's own. So I thought it might me cool to open things up by inviting some of the talent that I've come across to collaborate on one site. They write what they want, how they want, when they want. They can continue an idea started by another collaborator. Make comments on others' posts. Or just do their own thing. A free-form Blog Message Board, of sorts. A collaborative log. A CLOG. Anyone else who happens to stumble across what we're doing and who wants to collaborate with us is welcome. Just email me, and I'll give you the keys to the place. Come and go as you please. Invite friends. We can set up links to your own blogs, or you can collaborate using a pseudonym if you prefer more anonymity. I'm just curious to see what kind of life, if any, this thing might take on, and where it might end up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home